Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Vintage Chest of Drawers

This chest/secretary thing is so unique! It's been sitting in the garage forever! 
I was almost so fed up with it, I almost put it to the curb! (Do you ever have so many irons
in the fire that you just can't be bothered???!) 
Well, glad I didn't. I just decided to get to it and slapped on some white chalk paint. 
Then I thought I would try some artwork on top by using that cool staining technique
I used on the french provencial dresser awhile back.  Here
OK.  Obviously the before. This is a solid mahogany which the manufacturer covered in this
horrid orangey lacquer finish.  Look what was on top!!!
 This beautiful mahogany wood top!! So I chalked out a hibiscus flower, got out my stains, and went
to town!! I just used a combo of stains. Some I left on for a few minutes, and others I wiped away quickly. This is just a fly-by-the-seat-ofyour-pants type of thing. You really can't follow exact
directions. It's like painting. You just do it. Make sense??? Yeah, well, that's all I got!
All finished. And a few coat of semi-gloss poly 

The final version. Mahogany is so pretty when it's finished correctly! 

More pics.......






 How cute is this thing??!!
For when people used to write letters!! 
It pulls out and has 
these slots!! Then there is a shelf thingy that pulls out!  Big enough for
your laptop and a snack! 

 And how cute is my cat Athena??? 




Linking up at these great parties:

                                                   The Dedicated HouseRedoux

7 comments:

  1. What an absolutely gorgeous piece of furniture - love that shelf that comes out and that little drawer is too precious!
    AND that flower you incorporated onto the top is fabulous!
    Love love love this dresser!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have a dresser/desk combo piece of furniture, more of a 'high boy' style. It has a regular top drawer, a drawer with a drop down front {pulls out like a reg. drawer and has cubbies inside like a secretary} then 2 more regular drawers. The drop front drawer has a metal 'name plate' looking thingy that says 'DESK'. I will be refinishing it soon, thinking of black with a restained top. I love finding unique furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gurl you are SO GOOD with that staining! It looks bad ASS!
    >.<
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I have a sofa table I could try this on....Thanks for the inspiration!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! What a great piece too! Thank you for linking this up with Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a awesome outcome. Love white and wood

    ReplyDelete