Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Another Ceruse Project!

It's been awhile since I've taken on a ceruse technique on another dresser, but when I came across this vintage oak piece with the great grain detail, I knew I had to work on it! This time, I chose a turquoise color instead of black. 
 For the original post I did on how to ceruse, click HERE  and HERE 

Ok, lets see what I started with! Feast your eyes! 

           Yeah I know, why in the world would I ever want to cover up this gem? Oh stop! 
 I'm going to jump ahead and let you peek right quick at the finished piece,,,,just so you will follow along and wonder, " How in the heck did you turn that 'thing' into THIS":

Well, first off, lots o' stripping w/my fave stripper. Why people insist on using chemicals when this perfectly fine, natural, non-chemical product is available, I'll never know. This Soy Gel cleans up with water! Does Citri-strip do that?? Can you use your bare hands?? No. 'Nuff said. 

Now would be a good time to click on the link above if you have no idea about cerusing. It's too involved to go into again.  I'll be here when you're done.  Ga'head' 
Got it now? 
Ok, lets go on.At this point, I though I would just do the top and the two drawers. Here it is,
perfectly stripped. I used a wire brush to get in that grain and open it up. 

 Aniline dye comes in many colors, along with regular stain colors. This dye penetrates deeper than a regular stain. You mix w/water and brush it on. (or wipe). It dries quickly. Wear gloves. It stains your skin like nobodies business! 

I brushed on about 3 coats and then gave everything the once over with the half and half shellac/alcohol mixture. This seals the wood but still leaves open the grain. Remember, this will bring up the fuzzies on your wood, don't knock them down w/too fine a grit or you will close off the grain. 



Now I wanted to use a glossy top coat on my finished piece. If you don't know, you can't apply a top coat (poly or a urethane) over wax. So, I couldn't use my liming wax on this now could I??! I meant to reach for the white paint, but grabbed the white stain (whitewash) by General Finishes. Very difficult to wipe off, so I had to be quick. I worked in small areas. Dipped one rag in the white, rubbed it in, and then quickly grabbed my other rag dipped in ms and wiped it off. If you don't, you just get a gigantic white wash over everything. 
This is the look you want. Clearly defined areas between the grain and the dyed part. 
I had planned on only doing the top and drawers and painting the rest, but as I went on, I figured that would look dumb. So I bit the bullet and did the entire piece! Yes. Very time consuming and very tedious. However, I love the finished look! 

What to do about the innards? Hmmm,, the oak was fine behind the doors, but the doors were just blah. Out came my new Fine Paints of Europe Eco line in a nice Peacock! 

 And of course my signature, "Paint the drawer sides" got a few coats too! 
 Dumbo me forgot to fill in the FIVE holes on each drawer, so I went with these large cup pulls to hide them. I did fill the ones on doors and decided on some bling. 


To finish it off, I coated everything 3-4 times with GF Arm r Seal. 



 And that's all there is ! 



9 comments:

  1. WOW! You turned this into a beautiful piece! Well done! I love your choices for color and hardware! So Pretty! If you would like to share this or any other makeover at one more party, Making Broken Beautiful (runs every Thursday thru Sunday) is happening over at The Curator's Collection right now and I'd be honored to host your talents! I hope you have an amazing day!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome piece last week! I will be bragging it up at this week's Making Broken Beautiful party! I hope you come inspire again!
    Smiles!
    Terry
    The Curator's Collection & Making Broken Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the style of this dresser and the makeover looks fabulous! I specially love the turquoise!
    Mary
    http://www.realgirlsrealm.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty amazing piece of furniture! A real show stopper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You.
    경마사이트
    경마

    ReplyDelete
  6. I precisely needed to thank you so much yet again. I do not know the things I would’ve taken care of without these secrets contributed by you regarding this problem. It seemed to be a very frightful crisis for me, but encountering a new well-written tactic you processed it forced me to jump with contentment. 바카라

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an older blog post - but you have totally inspired me to try this! I've ordered the same color from lockwood and I am going to follow your steps. Your piece is the most beautiful ceruse piece I've seen.

    ReplyDelete